Friday, April 4, 2014

Meet Natalie's Table!

Here's Natalie then and now!
Natalie is in 2/4 MOPS and this is her first year as a DGL.  She has 4 kids.

Tell us about your messiest mom moment.

My messiest moment lasted much longer than just a moment. My biggest mess began when we were moving - in transition from St. Louis to Omaha. We had 3 kids (a 4 yr old and 1 yr old twins - BOYS!!)  Ben had started his new job w/ the Creighton Bluejays August 1st, and I was alone with 3 toddlers trying to parent and show our home on a moment's notice. I finally decided I couldn't take it anymore, and I packed our van full with 3 kids, 3 car seats, a double stroller, two seasons worth of clothes, house papers and our entire filing system, toys and whatever else that fit. We lived with gracious families across the state moving every week attempting to preserve relationships and maintain a sense of stability for kids, without being disowned. Who in their right mind takes on a homeless, anxious  mother of 3 crazies, (aka the St. Louis McNair 3 ring circus), who has then just found out she is pregnant??? Yep, jackpot BABY!...1 of the maybe 4 nights total that I saw my husband in 3 1/2 months!

Well 3 1/2 months went by, some 75 home viewings later, several trips across the state to view potential homes, a handful (at most) of a few hours (at most) visits with dad, a vandalized car during one of the four attempts to see Dad, a trip to the ER with my son who had blue lips and couldn't breathe! (Me either!) in the added bonus of an OUTSIDE network location, we finally moved into our home only to find out that my husband got called into work the day we were to move in...and then it snowed that first week.

Two weeks later we took in a house guest in our basement (which truly to this day is one of, if not, our greatest family blessing - we love you Bryce (and now Rachel;)!). I proceeded to search for doctors and a dentist for kids, a preschool, an OB for me (grumpy, frazzled and pregnant me!) a church home, oh and friends, anyone?? (Who wants to be friends with a mom who is already SEVERELY outnumbered by her kids AND pregnant with another??) All of this needing to be done at the start of a long winter and a 7 days a week, plus evenings and travel, basketball season.  Overwhelming? Yes.  Lonely? You bet.  Vulnerable and Messy? Absolutely.  But I look back and so tenderly and sincerely THANK GOD for MY MESS!!! To know that if it hadn't been so messy I would not have been broken.  And now I see so much beauty in the messiness of motherhood.  I see mothers (YOU), as BEAUTIFUL.  I have learned and now know that my mess, your mess, is right where God does His best work. I am forever changed because of my mess.  And though I still stubbornly resist upfront, I welcome messy...because I know beautiful is in the making. 



Meet her table!
not pictured: Jen


Each person was asked this question:
If time, money, and responsibilities were not a factor, what is one place you would like to visit? Why?


DGL-NATALIE: Switzerland, Austria, Canada--All 3 intrigue me with God's beauty and creation.  Also, I would love to go to a third world country to serve!!

MENTOR MOM-HEATHER: China--to spend as much time as we could in country for my daughter.  She is from China and I would love to take my family and see where she spent her first two years. 

STEPHANIE: Italy--My husband lived there for 5 years growing up and I would love to experience the country with him. 

JEN: Bora Bora--clear water, soft sand, over-water bungalows.  I'd even bring my kids and a nanny. :)

MEREDITH: Alaska--It would be a fun adventure. My husband and I want to go to hike, see bears and fish for salmon. 

JOCIE: Paris, France or anywhere secluded, really. 

JOY: Philippines--My parents and siblings live there and that's where I'm from! :)

JEN: I'd take our family to an African safari, so we could see all the zoo animals we love up close. 


Thanks for sharing your table with us, Natalie!


Chicken Pot Pie by Natalie

1 box Pillsbury Pie Shells
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup light sour cream
1 bag frozen mixed veggies-cooked
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
salt, pepper, Cavender's Seasoning, Mrs. Dash-to taste

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients and season to taste.
2. Put one pie shell in pan and fill with mixture.  Top with other pie shell.
3. Cover with foil and freeze.

To Serve:
1. Thaw in refrigerator.
2. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until browned (Cover crust after first 15-20 minutes of baking). Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment